Keep Out of Reach of Dogs – The Dangers of Pet Poisoning

It’s unfortunately no secret that our dogs will attempt to eat just about anything. From our favorite pair of shoes, to an unattended dinner left just a bit too close to the edge of the counter, we have all experienced our furry friends getting into something they shouldn’t. However, sometimes they can get into things that pose a bigger risk than a timeout. In your home, there can be several things that are poisonous to your dog, even if it’s something that poses no threat to you.

Knowing what to watch for, and how to react, can help keep your dog healthy – and could even save their life.

Top Poisons for Dogs

While some are obvious, there are many things that pose a real threat to your pooch that you may never have expected. Here are 3 of the most common causes of poisoning in dogs:

  • Your Medications – Whether prescription or over-the-counter, your medications can be harmful for your dog, even if they help you. It may be tempting to try giving your dog a pain-killer when they’re not feeling well, but these can cause even more problems than their ailment. Other common harmful medications include anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, and blood pressure medications.
  • Your Food – It’s always hard to say no to the face of a hungry dog at the table, but some of your favorite treats could spell trouble for your favorite beggar. Chocolate is perhaps the most well known food to keep away from Fido, but there are other treats to avoid as well. Avocados, grapes, raisins, and macadamia nuts can all cause problems from vomiting to kidney failure. The common artificial sweetener Xylitol can also create real trouble for dogs.

  • Household Products – While most household products, from cleaners to antifreeze, are harmful to humans as well, extra care should be taken to prevent your dog from getting into them. It’s also important to ensure that any lawn and garden products aren’t easily accessible while your dog is outside. It may seem obvious that household products would be dangerous, but your dog won’t know to steer clear of them.

How to React if Your Dog is Poisoned

If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, the most important thing you can do is to act quickly and rationally. First, try to collect any of the poison that may remain and monitor any symptoms your dog is showing. This can help to accurately identify the problem, and how to best treat it. Next, call the National Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Their staff is trained in veterinary toxicology to answer your questions and provide guidance, 24 hours a day. The quicker you are able to react to a potential poisoning, the better chance you have of helping keep your dog safe.

Want Help Keeping Your Pet Out of Harm’s Way?

If you would like to learn more about how to keep your pets safe and healthy, visit our friendly and knowledgeable staff today! To learn more about how Mebane Pet Clinic can assist with your pet’s well-being, call (919) 304-5200 today to schedule an appointment.