Fall Safety Tips For Your Pet

It’s that time of year….cooler temperatures, beautiful colors….As we bring summer to a close and welcome in the fall, remember these fall tips to help keep your pets safe and healthy.

  • Rodenticides– With cooler temperatures, mice and rats try to move indoors.  As a result, there is an increase in the use of rodenticides.  These products are highly toxic so please place them out of reach.  If ingested, seek veterinary help immediately.
  • Antifreeze– Ingesting antifreeze is lethal to both dogs and cats.  Its sweet taste is very attractive, but very dangerous.  Make sure that containers are stored properly and that there are no leaks from your vehicle’s engine.
  • Mushrooms-While 99 percent of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, there is that one percent that can cause life threatening problems for pets.
  • Snakes– Snakes are preparing for hibernation and they can be awfully grumpy!  If your pet does get bitten, contact your veterinarian immediately.
  • Ticks– It’s still tick season and playing in the leaves is one of the many ways that your pet can pick up one of these pesky creatures.  Continue to use your tick prevention!
  • Fleas– In many areas, fall is the worst season for fleas.  Dr. Michael Dryden, Professor of Veterinary Parasitology, calls it “the fall flea surge”.  He discovered that the number of fleas on animals in the fall were 70 percent higher than in the spring!  This occurs because there is generally an increase in precipitation while temperatures stay around 70 degrees.  Fleas thrive in these conditions so beware!
  • Yard and Garden– Pick up fruit, fruit pits, berries, seeds, leaves, and stems that fall to the ground as they can be harmful to pets.  Compost toxins are a real risk to pets that like to poke and dig.  Keep your compost in a closed container.  Please be aware of any fertilizing or fall lawn maintenance that could present a hazard to your pet if ingested.
  • Fall Decorations– We all love our fall decorations, but be mindful that they could present a hazard if ingested by your pet.

(The following sources were used for this article: ASPCA, Pet Health Network, Trupanion, PetHub, PetMD, and Revival Animal Health)